Monday, May 30, 2011

Scoring

You began working with some of Dean's Foreign Language scoring system today with two new dancers from Sydney. What are your reflections on Dean's process and how do you find working with Elizabeth and Miranda?

Matthew Shilcock:
I was really excited to work with both the scoring systems we worked with today. Having done Dean's Masterclasss last year in Adelaide, I've been excited to work with him ever since. The Rising & Falling and the Paralysis & Carry scoring systems have been exciting for me to explore and also very empowering.

The ground for me for many years has had such a fear factor, because in the past hitting the ground often causes me injuries and broken bones. So its been really empowering to work with the ground and have it as a new tool in my tool belt rather than something to be feared. Its great to feel at home using the ground as an element to create dance.

I've enjoyed working with the Paralysis & Carry score because its been empowering to reflect on instances in the past when I've had injuries yet still needed to move myself in some way - whether it be getting from my bed to the toilet or from the couch to the kitchen table and being able to look back on those experiences and develop something positive from that. I can think back to when I had a broken leg when I was on the ground, I had to crawl in a way that was the safest way I had to get around. I could look back and think, that was really cool and I don't have to think of it as a painful and negative experience. That happened today.

Its great to work with Elizabeth and Miranda. Its always good to work with new people. I look forward to working with them more to see how they move. I think that will be very interesting and a little indulgent as well.

I guess the way they both immersed themselves into this world they were creating in the studio with such confidence, they were so believable. If I've learnt anything I suppose its to let go and to completely and wholly inhabit the world that's being created with absolute confidence. I really enjoyed today the experience of connecting with the other dancers in the group, we each had little turns. I really enjoyed connecting with them almost in an ESP kind of way. When I was doing duets with Miranda, Dean & Andrew, I felt like there was incredible conviction - I wasn't worried about being out of time with them, I felt absolute confidence that whatever we did, we did together and I felt completely in sync with their bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment