Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 1 at Bundanon

Artistic Director Philip Channells interviews the dancers over lunch and asks..."How’s your first 24 hours at Bundanon been?"

Matt Shillcock:

I put all my things around the room and I’ve set up my bathroom the way I want it... it feels really homely and peaceful. Walking out the paddock this morning felt pretty unreal seeing the kangaroos, but then again we live in Australia and it’s our native animal.


I’ve got this big studio out the back of my room and I’m thinking, yeah, I’ve got a big studio, but I haven’t actually used it yet. The workshop was good this morning – it was the first time I’ve ever done anything like that so it was a good experience and a lot of fun. Once you get into the swing of it you hardly feel like you’re doing anything at all. Its like you’re working but its not like you’re not working coz you’re having so much fun.


I don’t have any mobile reception or wifi connection, so I feel great about getting away from everything…although there’s a schedule here, it’s different to having to follow the routine and schedule that I always keep up to. Its good to be isolated.


Dana Nance:

It’s been good – I enjoyed the workshop and I did some drawing and played with my phone. I enjoyed seeing the kangaroos and the wombats under the houses thumping, and seeing the birds.

I’m reading books and its nice living up at the Musicians Cottage. I’m sharing with Jess and Jianna and that’s going good. It was a bit cold last night so I asked for a blanket but Jess said there were no blankets so she gave me a hot water bottle instead, and then this morning she found some blankets.


Jess White (Dana's PA):

It’s totally wonderful – it feels like home already. I’m just blown away – its like a visual feast – also the senses as well.

It was a bit scary last night coz we had a wombat under our house ramming the post. It feels like we’re in a real creative, very Australian space that Arthur Boyd and Sydney Nolan spent a lot of time at. I’m very excited to be here with everyone and to see what you guys create. There are so many spaces here to be creative.


Jianna Georgiou:

To die for. I would like to stay here again.

It’s like a farm with animals – there’s wombats, kangaroos with joey’s. It’s a really nice place. The furniture is nice, and the village has a cottage.

It’s a nice place to walk around and take photos…I liked doing the shopping at Woolworths – we had a big fat trolley which was really hard to control. I like the outdoors.


Andrew Pandos:

I had a really good plane trip to Sydney and then we went through Nowra.
Last night I got really scared about the wombat being in our house. I heard howling last night too – it was a fox. I went to walk with Philip and we saw a cow mooing at night.
I like living with Matt and I like playing games with Matt – like the memory game. This morning when I got up I was missing my grandfather and I was crying. The workshop…my experience about the workshop was like taking the photos of Philip, Matt & Jianna. We did a good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment